For support call: 0330 100 3143
Find an Installer

What are the Advantages of a Heat Pump System?

Incorporating heat pump technology into your home is one of the most economical, effective, and environmentally-friendly ways to cover your heating and hot water needs. Heat pumps use environmental energy to generate heating and hot water for your home. This works by extracting thermal energy (heat) from the air, ground or a local water source, which is then converted by a heat pump to generate heating and hot water for your home.

As the main source of heat generation comes from the environment itself, the amount of energy required to generate the necessary heating for your home is vastly reduced compared to other methods. Heat pumps can also be paired with alternative energy sources to further improve the environmental impact of you heating and hot water whilst also minimising electricity costs. Here are some of the benefits of using a heat pump system in your home:

Low Running Costs

Low running costs can help to reduce household energy bills

No Need for Fuel Storage

A Heat pump removes the need for fuel to be delivered and stored at home; a common problem for homes that are in off-gas areas and rely on alternative fuels, such as oil

No Emissions

Heat pumps operate using electricity (including from alternative sources such as solar power) and produce no emissions, making them much more environmentally-friendly than traditional heating systems

Efficient Regardless of Temperature

Heat pumps can operate at high efficiency levels even in cold temperatures. Just 25% of the energy used by a heat pump is provided by electricity, with the remaining 75% being generated by the environment through the ground, water or air (depending on your type of heat pump system)


The utilisation of natural energy sources such as air, ground, and water means the approach to heating and hot water production is particularly sustainable

Extremely Quiet

Heat pumps are incredibly quiet and can therefore be positioned anywhere without causing any noise disruption.


Heat pumps work well with both underfloor heating and radiators with low surface temperatures


Heat pumps can be used as part of a climate controlled system within the home and integrates easily with a range of controls, including smart home accessories.

Long Service Life

Modern heat pump units have life expectancies which are on average double that of a typical domestic boiler, with boilers typically expected to last around 10-12 years, and heat pumps having an average lifespan of 20-25 years.

Low Maintenance

Heat pumps have a robust design and very few moving parts meaning that they require very little maintenance (yearly checks are advised but not required), especially in comparison to the annual maintenance required of a traditional boiler.

Government Incentives

The UK Government are currently offering financial incentives through the RHI (Renewable Heat Incentive) scheme providing homeowners with quarterly repayments.

Low carbon heating and hot water solutions are one of most impactful ways you can reduce your homes carbon emissions, with 31% of household emissions currently coming from central heating[₁], technologies such as heat pumps are one of the best ways to sustainably heat your home, lower your heating bills and reduce your carbon footprint.

To further support the switch to renewables, the government are currently offering the Domestic Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI).You can find out more on how to qualify for this here