Solar energy is currently used in homes in two different ways. Solar thermal panels can be used for heating domestic hot water or photovoltaic panels.
The advantages of using solar thermal energy:
- Inexhaustible supply of solar energy
- Solar energy is free
- No CO2 emissions
- Easy to integrate into existing heating installations
- Lower risk from price fluctuations in the energy commodity markets
What you’ll need:
- Suitable surfaces for solar collectors – south facing where possible
- An area that’s free of shade throughout the day
- An expandable heating system
Cost reduction through solar energy
Solar panels convert solar energy into heat. Flat plate solar collectors convert up to 95 percent of the light into energy.
After the solar energy is converted in the collectors, the heat is transferred via a fluid to a hot water cylinder in the building. A heat exchanger transfers the energy of the carrier fluid to the water in the cylinder. From there it can be used on demand, even when the sun is not shining.
With a solar thermal system, you can save up to 65 percent of your energy costs for domestic water heating.
Find out more about flat panel collectors from Vaillant
Solar thermal heating
Available energy sources
How different technologies work