- Reduce the temperature of the hot water –water temperature doesn’t really need to be any higher than around 60⁰C, any hotter than this and you will be mixing it with cold water as it is too hot to use. Decreasing the hot water temperature in your central heating boiler means that less energy is required to heat the water.
- By turning down your central heating and immersion heater temperature by just one degree you could cut heating bills by up to 10% and you are unlikely to notice a difference in the property.
- Install efficient and accurate thermostatic radiator valves and other thermostats so you can accurately gauge temperature in your home.
- Turn down the thermostats on radiators by one notch and do not heat rooms that are not used. By turning down thermostats on radiators connected to your central heating system you can reduce energy consumption by up to 5%.
- Replace you boiler if it’s over 10 years old with a high-efficiency Vaillant model – by doing this alone you could reduce your central heating energy consumption by up to a third!
- Always use a timer to control your central heating – by using a timer you can ensure that you are not heating your home when it is not required.
- Get your boiler serviced – a regular boiler service will mean central heating breakdowns are less likely and will ensure that the boiler is safe and as efficient as possible. Vaillant offer several packages which include servicing and boiler cover, please see the ‘service’ (LINK) pages for more information.
- Take a shower! By taking a bath a day instead of a shower you could be using 13,000 litres more water than you would if you took a shower every day. By taking shorter, cooler, showers you will reduce your carbon footprint and also reduce your annual central heating bills.
Efficient Central Heating
There are many ways that you can use your Vaillant central heating system to reduce your carbon footprint and also save you money.